Saturday, May 2, 2015

R.I.P. Nanay Carmen

While mooching off my parents' Costco membership last weekend, I randomly grabbed a book called The Divinity of Dogs at Costco.  I read it this past week and ended up crying like a baby for pretty much every dog story.  I was surprised at how much I feeling, and just assumed that it was because I adopted my first rescue dog and so am now that much more sensitive to stories of dogs that have been mistreated.

Little did I know that my grandma was in the hospital at that time.  Yesterday morning I found out she was in the ICU.  I thought she would pull through but I still googled flights to the Philppines thinking that I should visit her sometime soon.  She seemed so strong and healthy when I talked to her over the phone just this March (her 93rd birthday).  We laughed about my "Tag-lish."  I told her I wanted to visit her next year (it really hurts to remember how sure and eager I was).

At around 5pm I found out that she passed away from pneumonia complications.  Total devastation.  I quickly left work to go to my parents so I could be there for my dad.  We decided to book flights to the Philippines in order to make the funeral.  My sis would have to stay because of school, but my parents and I were going to go for sure.  Because I already looked at flights earlier, I was able to get it done quickly despite my zombie state.

Later on my mom forwarded an email from my uncle.  Turns out Nanay Carmen was starting to show signs of "wanting to rest."  Most of her close girlfriends were gone except her.  She wasn't eating as much.  And when her dog Peachie (a streetdog she adopted) passed away suddenly, my uncle describes this grief as the "tipping point."  I was back to crying like a baby when I read this part.  Something clicked inside me.

I can't help but feel that I was so affected by that book not only because of the amazing stories of dogs that might have been killed or abandoned but instead go on to save lives, but also because of what was happening half a world away with the beloved matriarch of the Garcia family.  And now my bags are packed and I will be leaving for the airport in less than two hours.  

Rest in Peace, Nanay Carmen.  I miss you.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment