I was lunching with coworkers this past week and we got into the issue of the government allowing 'biological boys' who self-identify as girls into the girls' change rooms at schools. My male coworkers seriously believed there would be a problem with more sexual assaults and also some very uncomfortable girls.
Yeah. That was a huge reminder that I am in the land of right-wing conservatives. I mean, these guys are even younger than me!
I told them I didn't think it was a big deal, and that people should be able to change wherever they want. And that sexual assaults towards girls do not arise from 'boys' that self-identify as girls. And that the LGBTQ community has enough crap to go through and that people cannot be "cured" of the gender or sexual orientation that they truly identify with.
They were surprised and couldn't believe that I wasn't bothered by this "crazy" new rule.
They expressed their concern for girls who have been traumatized by sexual assault and so I responded that I've been a victim myself and and I *still* don't care if a male changes near me in a change room. I used to be on a salsa team that travelled together for crying out loud!
I then got called a "unicorn." More "calm and logical" than the usual female. They were trying to compliment me, but it does weird me out when guys do that. I've had other guy friends tell me the same things, usually after they make some type of generalization about women and I try to correct them.
"Oh, but Angel you're different. You're not like the others."
"You're like this female anomaly."
"You're just like one of the guys."
Maybe if more men would actually entertain the thought of women being as varied as *gasp* men, they'd come across more "unicorn anomalies." Just saying.
Call me a left-wing hippie, but moments like these makes me feel like I'd just "belong" much easier in a more liberal and progressive cosmopolitan city. Cue in daydream about me walking out of a vegetarian restaurant and into the sunshine by the dog-friendly beach, kale smoothie in one hand and a yoga mat under the other arm, laughing with my friends of ambiguous race and sex.
Yeah. That was a huge reminder that I am in the land of right-wing conservatives. I mean, these guys are even younger than me!
I told them I didn't think it was a big deal, and that people should be able to change wherever they want. And that sexual assaults towards girls do not arise from 'boys' that self-identify as girls. And that the LGBTQ community has enough crap to go through and that people cannot be "cured" of the gender or sexual orientation that they truly identify with.
They were surprised and couldn't believe that I wasn't bothered by this "crazy" new rule.
They expressed their concern for girls who have been traumatized by sexual assault and so I responded that I've been a victim myself and and I *still* don't care if a male changes near me in a change room. I used to be on a salsa team that travelled together for crying out loud!
I then got called a "unicorn." More "calm and logical" than the usual female. They were trying to compliment me, but it does weird me out when guys do that. I've had other guy friends tell me the same things, usually after they make some type of generalization about women and I try to correct them.
"Oh, but Angel you're different. You're not like the others."
"You're like this female anomaly."
"You're just like one of the guys."
Maybe if more men would actually entertain the thought of women being as varied as *gasp* men, they'd come across more "unicorn anomalies." Just saying.
Call me a left-wing hippie, but moments like these makes me feel like I'd just "belong" much easier in a more liberal and progressive cosmopolitan city. Cue in daydream about me walking out of a vegetarian restaurant and into the sunshine by the dog-friendly beach, kale smoothie in one hand and a yoga mat under the other arm, laughing with my friends of ambiguous race and sex.

No comments:
Post a Comment